Santa Hat Brownies
I have to be honest and tell you that I picked this recipe because I thought Santa Hat Brownies would be really pretty, not because I thought they would taste good. However, these turned out to be so surprisingly delicious! I didn't think strawberries would go well with brownies, but I was delightfully wrong.
Making these is a snap, so let's get started!
- Betty Crocker Brownie Mix (and ingredients needed to make the brownies)
- 1 carton of strawberries (bigger strawberries are easier to work with!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
I was inspired to try these festive brownies from here.
How do you guys sift sugar? I use this old old hand crank that can handle about a cup at a time and likes to spray sugar back up at me. If you have something you love using let me know!
I whipped up some buttercream frosting by creaming the softened butter and sugar, then mixing in the vanilla extract and milk.
Brownie cups have cooled. We're ready to decorate!
For the first santa hat I tried a star frosting trip. I love the texture, but that is one fuzzy hat. Maybe a smaller star point tip would look better in the future. For now, we'll stick with a standard round tip.
What's the best way to make these hats? My first attempt was to create the hat base and then stick the strawberry on top. It's alright...but it looks pretty flat. It'd be nice if the frosting hugged the base of the strawberry.
Attempt #2! This time I put the frosting base on the strawberry, then stuck it on the brownie. From there I added the frosting around the strawberry. I like this effect more than the first one!
And here we go! Little brownie santa hat cupcakes.
I tried a green background for these to complement the bright red colors. Everyone was surprised at how well all these flavors paired together. I'd definitely recommend for a holiday party!
- Smaller frosting tips might be better for these in the future, especially with strawberries being so small in the winter.
- Brownies don't rise as much as cake batter when making cupcakes. Put extra batter in if you want the brownie to rise over the top of the cupcake wrappers!